Applying for a partner visa can be a tricky process for those unfamiliar with Australian immigration policy and the legal requirements. There are a number of ways that you can be eligible to apply for a partner visa, and one of them is to register your relationship in Australia. A registered relationship is one that has been registered under either Australia state or a territory law. This also includes civil partnership schemes. Let’s take a closer look at registering a relationship and some of the complexities involved.
The States that Recognise a Registered Relationship
The states that currently recognise registered relationships are New South Wales (NSW), The Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Queensland (QLD), Tasmania and Victoria. Registering a relationship in Northern Territory, Western Australia and South Australia is not possible. As a Western Australian company, 888 Migration focuses primarily on WA migration issues, but as an example of what to expect, here are the registration relationship requirements for New South Wales.
New South Wales (NSW)
To register a relationship in NSW, the following requirements need to be met:
- Both partners should be unmarried.
- Both partners should be no less than 18 years old.
- One of the applicants must be a resident in NSW, but the other applicant can be located overseas.
- Both should not be related by family.
- Both partners should not be in another relationship or another registered relationship.
- Both partners should make a statutory declaration that states all of the facts previously listed.
- The completed application must be posted by mail or taken to the office in person.
- The certified identification for each applicant must be included along with the payment for the fee.
As you can see, many of the requirements that need to be met are common sense rules that one would expect. These requirements are a fair indication of the kinds of requirements that would need to be met, in the states that actually do allow the registration of relationships. However, the specific requirements do differ from state to state, so it’s important to do some additional research about what is required in your state before you proceed to avoid wasting time and fees.
If you want to apply for an Australian partner visa, contact us here at 888 Migration. We are experts in all kinds of visa applications, including spouse visas. All of our migrations agents are licensed to work on your behalf to ensure that your application has the best chance of success. Our team is anticipating discussing your needs with you in greater detail, and they can answer any other questions that you have.
The post Examining the Partner Visa: How to Register a Relationship appeared first on 888 Migration Services.